On 20th October, Trust My Garage celebrated its 5th anniversary of being a Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI) approved Consumer Code – but what does that mean when you visit a TMG member garage? Read on to find out!
What is Trust My Garage?
Trust My Garage is a collection of Britain’s best local garages – each one different and every one dedicated to the highest standards of skill and personal service. All the garages in Trust My Garage are members of the Independent Garage Association. The IGA is part of the Retail Motor Industry Federation (RMIF), one of Britain’s oldest motor trade organisations.
Trust My Garage is not a third-party web-based intermediary that comes between you and your local garage. It is a Code of Practice for independent garages, approved by the CTSI’s Consumer Code Approval Scheme. This means there are no extra costs involved for you or your garage and you will always be able to contact your garage directly, enabling you to build a trusted relationship, allowing members to maintain their high quality and standards of workmanship and service.
What is the Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI)?
The Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI) is a not-for-profit membership organisation founded in 1881 to support and represent trading standards professionals in the UK and abroad.
CTSI’s vision is for the United Kingdom to prosper through fair and safe trade. Their Consumer Codes Approval Scheme (CCAS) aims to improve customer service standards by:
- The approval and promotion of codes of practice through code sponsors, approved by the CTSI
- Protecting consumers with higher levels of customer service. By using an approved trader you will have protection above and beyond your normal consumer law rights, including access to a clear complaints procedure and Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) service if you have a problem
- Allowing businesses to display the codes logo to reassure consumers
How does a Consumer Code work?
The CCAS is committed to promoting Codes of Practice, such as Trust My Garage, that meet their core criteria and have obtained CTSI approval.
By adhering to a Consumer Code, TMG members can display the CTSI Approved Code logo – which gives you confidence in the reputable standards of the business.
You should always look out for the CTSI approved code logo when searching for a local business, so you can be confident that any approved code sponsor you choose has a proven commitment to be honest and have higher consumer standards. Click here to find out more how the Consumer Code Approval Scheme can help you as a consumer.
You can read more on the official Trust My Garage CTSI code sponsor listing here.
How can I find a TMG member garage?
The easiest way to locate your nearest Consumer Code-approved TMG member is by using our “Find a Garage” map. You can simply pop in your postcode and your preferred mileage radius and all TMG members in your area will be displayed! Try it out here:
You can sort members by distance, best reviews and number of reviews so you can decide which garage you want to use. TMG member profile pages also provide contact information and tell you which services the business offers – so you can decide who is best for you and have all the information you need to contact your chosen garage at the click of a mouse!
If you’re looking for more information about Trust My Garage, you can head over to our website, TrustMyGarage.co.uk. We’re also on social media, so check out our Facebook and Twitter profiles to get the latest motoring news and updates straight into your social feeds!
It’s great news for consumers as Trust My Garage (TMG) has now been granted Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI) approval under the Consumer Codes Approval Scheme (CCAS). This means that when you take your car to a Trust My Garage member, you will now benefit from additional protection beyond the standard consumer rights, giving you the added assurance of a professional service, and the knowledge that your TMG member has chosen to accept the provisions of the TMG Customer Charter which forms the basis of the scheme’s compliance with the CCAS criteria .
The CTSI aims to help consumer-facing businesses, both in the UK and abroad, maintain the highest standards, giving peace of mind and added protection to customers. Businesses wishing to apply for code approval status face a rigorous process, and approval is only granted to organisations that can firmly demonstrate a commitment to the highest level of customer service and protection, and which also have a commitment to continually improving service standards within their industry.
The TMG consumer code is now the only code in the UK exclusively open to independent garage businesses, with the aim being to raise stands within the independent sector and promote peace of mind to all customers. The code means that it will ensure a strong disciplinary framework designed to ensure garages maintain the high standards that Trust My Garage stands for. It will also support garages to ensure that motorists always get the very best service at independent garages displaying the Trust My Garage shield.
But what does it mean for you when you visit your local member?
- In addition to knowing the technicians at your local Trust My Garage member will be regularly assessed for quality and professionalism, you now have the assurance that they will always have access to up-to-date technical information, facilities and equipment, meaning that you are guaranteed a professional, quality service every time you visit a garage displaying the Trust My Garage shield. TMG businesses comply with the highest standards set by the CTSI, the national body for trading standards professionals.
- In the rare event that you might have a complaint regarding a Trust My Garage member, you now have additional protection beyond standard consumer rights, including a clear complaints procedure and access to the National Conciliation Service, TMG’s alternative dispute resolution provider.
- When you take you vehicle to one of our members for a service or MOT, you can rest assured that you are dealing with a firm that is determined to deliver the highest levels of customer satisfaction.
- Trust My Garage truly is the independent scheme for independent garages in the UK. We have no hidden agenda or commercial affiliation, which means we really do exist to ensure that independent garage standards are continuing to improve; we have no commercial influence.
- There are now more TMG members than ever before. Since we became the only CTSI backed code exclusively for independent garages, we have experienced a significant increase in enquiries from garages wanting to join the scheme, but only those that meet our standards and conditions are becoming members., We now have over 2,800 members and this number is growing all the time, meaning that there really is a TMG member near you, wherever you are in the UK.
Sounds good doesn’t it? But how do you find your nearest Trust My Garage member and join thousands of motorists enjoying independent quality every day? Simply visit our garage finder on our website or download the Trust My Garage app. Enter your postcode and we’ll show you where your nearest members are.
You can download the Trust My Garage app from any smartphone and it will instantly recognise your location before showing a number of trusted garages nearby. From the app, you can view garage feedback, view our educational videos and call one of our members directly to book a service, MOT, or recovery service.
Our brand new video explains more about Chartered Trading Standards Institute (CTSI) approval and what it means for you: